Great Lakes Adaptive Sports Association (GLASA) is excited to announce that out of twenty-nine youth athletes chosen to participate in the 2018 International Wheelchair and Amputee Sports Federation (IWAS) youth world games, eight are GLASA athletes. The games will take place in Athlone, Ireland from Saturday, June 30th to Friday, July 6th, 2018.
The following eight athletes will be representing GLASA for the USA:
- Ethan Burkhart – Libertyville, IL
- Lauren Gates – Fox Field, CO
- Aubrey Headon – Rochelle, IL
- Amanda Malawski – Sugar Grove, IL
- Chance Milledge – Oak Harbor, OH
- Justin Phongsavanh – Des Moines, IA
- Giovanni Qattawi – Lake Villa, IL
- Nelya Schasfoort – Avon Lake, OH
GLASA track and field coach, Dave Bogenschutz of Lake Villa and GLASA Executive Director and Founder, Cindy Housner of Wadsworth, have been selected as part of the 2018 coaching staff.
As a sole member of IWAS , Adaptive Sports, USA has positioned a team of outstanding junior athletes at the IWAS Youth World Games since 2006. IWAS games include archery, swimming, powerlifting, and track and field with athletes making performance standards to provide them with a competitive experience at the international level.