GLASA’s internship programs provides career development opportunities for students majoring in Therapeutic Recreation, Kinesiology, Exercise Science, Adaptive Sports, Sports Psychology, Non-Profit Management, Development, Marketing and more. Interns can be currently enrolled in a college, be a recent college graduate or be an experienced professional looking to gain exposure to a new career or field. Intern positions vary from part-time (as little as 10 hours/week) up to full time positions for the entire season.
For internship inquiries, please contact:
Shannon Hellen, Office Manager
Accountant PDF Version
Be a part of something great! The Great Lakes Adaptive Sports Association (GLASA), a progressive non-profit organization, is looking to add a talented Accountant to the team that will make a daily impact on the organization’s finances.
The Accountant will report to the Executive Director and work directly with the Program Managers, Events and Competition Manager, Development Director, Grant Writer, Office Manager and GLASA Board. This individual will be responsible for all financial aspects of GLASA including accounting, payroll, financial planning and reporting, and treasury. The ideal candidate should have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience including knowledge of Microsoft Office and QuickBooks Desktop. Non-profit experience is a plus.
This is a full-time, salaried position. Work can be split between the office location in Lake Forest, IL and remote home office. GLASA’s benefit package includes offerings of health, dental, vision and life insurances plus paid time off.
The specific responsibilities include:
• Process and post Accounts Payable
• Manage Accounts receivable
• Close the monthly ledger, including final postings, trial balance and closing
• Coordinate annual audit with external auditors
• Process semi-monthly payroll, including compensation and deduction management
• Generate 1099’s, W2’s
• Support various HR processes as required, jointly with the Executive Director
Financial Planning and Reporting
• Prepare monthly financial report for review with the GLASA management team
• Prepare and present monthly financials to the GLASA Board of Directors (6x per year)
• Manage the annual budget process in conjunction with the GLASA department leaders
• Assist in preparing fundraising applications and prepare regular reports to donors as required
• Perform analysis of results or projections as required to GLASA management and Board to support strategic plan development and decision making
• Assist in maintaining program statistics
• Perform monthly reconciliations of various monetary platforms
• Manage reserve funds
• Manage credit card access, expenses, reconciliation, and controls
• Manage insurance needs of GLASA
Send resume and cover letter to:
GLASA, 27864 Irma Lee Circle, 101, Lake Forest, IL 60045 ATTN: Accountant [email protected]
No phone calls or recruiters please.
Competitions and Special Events Coordinator PDF Version
GLASA is seeking a Competitions and Special Events Coordinator to ensure the planning and implementation of GLASA competitions and special events are of the utmost quality and value to those attending.
Key responsibilities include:
- Plan, coordinate, implement and evaluate GLASA competitions and special events. This includes but not limited to finding and renting facilities, planning logistics, purchasing/transporting equipment and supplies, obtaining hotel rooms, marketing and promotion of event, coordinating meals, planning concessions, purchasing awards, recruiting officials, working with classifiers, purchasing merchandise and planning transportation.
- Work with GLASA staff, interns and volunteers to implement special events and competitions such as:
- GLASA Great Lakes Games – a three- or four-day, multi-sport annual competition for people who have a physical or visual disability, including injured military
- Twilight 5K Run, Walk and Roll
- Track and Field, Wheelchair Football and other sport specific clinics throughout the year
- Sport specific junior training camps
- Wheelchair Tennis tournament and clinic
- Holiday Party for athletes, families, coaches, Board and donors
- Serve as point person for the GLASA Great Lakes Games
- Recruit and manage a Local Organizing Committee for the GLASA Great Lakes Games and other major events
- In partnership with GLASA Development Director, identify, maintain and facilitate partnerships to support special event offerings
- Ensure that equipment and supplies are loaded into van/trailer and transported to GLASA special events
- Create and send surveys to event participants to assess satisfaction with special events/clinics/competitions and help implement improvements
- Compile and track data for events in a timely manner, including attendee demographics, testimonials and other key pieces of information to be used in outreach, marketing, grant applications and sponsorship opportunities
- Monitor and update budgets for special events and competitions and optimize in-kind support for all major events to underwrite key budget categories
- Assist GLASA team with equipment and supply inventory as it relates to programs and events
- Work with appropriate staff and committee members to develop and implement a marketing plan for competitions and special events to ensure good attendance
- Recruit, supervise and evaluate event interns
- Report to GLASA Development Director and offer assistance for logistics support for other major GLASA events including the GLASA Gala and Marathon Team.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Hospitality, Communications, Event Planning, Management, Public Relations, Marketing, Parks & Recreation or Sports Management. Those with a degree in a related discipline are also encouraged to apply.
- Prior experience in implementing large sporting events and/or special events
- Experience in event management in a nonprofit setting
- Strong personal passion to support adaptive sports events on a local, regional and national level
- Available to oversee events which will occur on evenings and weekends
Benefits: Health, paid time off and company cell phone. Salary commensurate with experience and education. Relocation stipend available if moving from outside a 50-mile radius of the GLASA Office.
To apply for this position, please send resume and cover letter to [email protected]. No phone calls or recruiters please.
Administrative Assistant (Part-Time, 25 hours/week) PDF Version
GLASA is seeking a part-time (25 hours/week) Administrative Assistant for GLASA programs.
Key responsibilities include:
- Type letters, reports, agendas, assist with creation of flyers and brochures, update forms, and maintain shared files on server
- Maintain calendar, schedule and attend meetings
- Negotiate and secure facilities for programs, obtain proper permits
- Answer phone and assist with athletes/parents/coaches communication
- Maintain CRM as it relates to programs: manage membership and program registration, run reports as needed, update forms and automatic responses, create program/event links
- Office management: maintain office equipment, serve as intermediary between landlord and GLASA for pest control, issues with the office, etc.
- Maintain SafeSport and other required certifications of staff, coaches, etc
- Assist with grant reporting
- Assist in planning and execution of Special Events and Tournaments, i.e. GLASA Great Lakes Games, Wheelchair Football Tournament, Chicago Classic Tennis Tournament, Camp Trek, Twilight, etc.
- Other duties may include:
- Assist with loading/unloading and organization of sports equipment
- Maintain equipment inventory
- Attend programs and events
- High School Diploma required; Associates degree or higher preferred
- Minimum of two years proven administrative office experience or equivalent
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Willingness to learn new software, i.e. Neon CRM, Zoom, Haku, etc.
To apply for this position, please send resume and cover letter to [email protected].
No phone calls or recruiters please.
GLASA is seeking a Program Manager to ensure GLASA’s adaptive and Paralympic sports, recreation and wellness activities are of the utmost quality and value to athletes who have a physical or visual disability.
Key responsibilities include:
- Plan, implement and evaluate GLASA’s adaptive sports, recreation and wellness activities including weekly programs, injured military programming, clinics, and competitions. Larger programs will have shared responsibility with another Program full-time staff member.
- Provide coaching and instruction to programs and clinics as needed
- Work closely with national governing bodies and other sports organizations to ensure compliance in programming
- Coordinate team and individual travel for GLASA teams and athletes
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director to support and recruit coaches as needed
- Prepare and monitor budget for programs
- Recruit, supervise and evaluate interns
- Provide on-going communication with staff members, athletes and family members to ensure success in all areas
- Work with athletes on adaptive equipment fittings, ordering equipment and making modifications as needed
- Report prudent programming statistics to GLASA staff as needed for grants, donors, etc.
- Maintain SafeSport and other certifications for coaches and staff as required
- Ensure that equipment is loaded into van/trailer and transported to weekly programs and other GLASA events
- Provide support as needed for special events, programs and competitions
- Promote GLASA’s programs, competitions and special events through outreach, promotional events and community engagement opportunities to recruit new athletes and share GLASA’s mission
- Ensure a safe environment for all assigned programs
- Provide direction, supervision and support to volunteers, part-time staff and coaches
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university preferably in Kinesiology, Adaptive Physical Education, Sports Management, Exercise Physiology, Therapeutic Recreation or related degree
- Minimum of one year of coaching, leadership and programming experience required
- Strong computer skills, including experience with Office products
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends as needed for weekly programs, competitions and special events
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work successfully both with a team and independently
- Strong passion to support adaptive and Paralympic sports both live and virtually
- Ability to travel to regional and national competitions
Benefits include: Health insurance, paid time off, company cell phone. Salary commensurate with experience and education. Relocation stipend is available if moving from outside a 50-mile radius.
To apply for this position, please send resume and cover letter to [email protected]. No recruiters please.
GLASA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Personnel is selected on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.