Our resource page is a work in progress. As we build our library of relevant resources, they will be listed here. Please check back often.
Resources for the Chicagoland area:
Transportation for people with a disability in the Chicagoland area: www.specialneedschicago.org
Online Support Groups:
Reeve Foundation Virtual Support Group
Resources for the Visually Impaired:
Online Guide to Navigating Online College with Visual Impairments
Visual Disabilities Guide for Students
Helping Students with Visual Disabilities – Resources, Tools and Technology to Foster School Success
Financial & Support Resources for Individuals with Vision Impairments
A Guide to Driving with Vision Loss
Want to Go to College?
Guide to Paying for College for People With Disabilities
The Complete Guide to College for Disabled Students
College & Career Resources for Students with a Disability
The fully accessible guide to paying for college for students with disabilities
The Ultimate College Guide for Veterans & Active Service Members
- Lawyers of Distinction Scholarship – open to all abilities, $1000
- True Eye Experts Scholarship – open to all abilities, $1000
- Exults Scholarship – open to all, $1000
Workout at Home:
GLASA’s FREE Virtual Workout Calendar and Registration – COVID-19
- DSUSA Adapt at Home: https://www.disabledsportsusa.org/adaptathome/
- National Center for Health, Physical Activity, and Disability (NCHPAD) series of 30+ at home workouts for all ability levels: NCHPAD Workouts
- Chair Yoga Flow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLw2sjvuNU&feature=emb_logo
- Yoga with Adriene library: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFKE7WVJfvaHW5q283SxchA can be accessed here too: https://yogawithadriene.com/free-yoga-videos/
- HASfit library of chair exercises (standing exercises too!): https://www.youtube.com/user/KozakSportsPerform/search?query=seated
- Wheel WOD: Will be releasing daily workouts for wheelchair users with an archive of other possible exercises- typically need dumbbells or equipment but could use water bottles or soup cans. More advanced. http://wheelwod.com/?fbclid=IwAR1tPGBFXrgBuaMartOqyyGCMMuB46HgAgWnNzR39a9OaIrQQh0nGgK78L4
- Seated workouts: https://www.youtube.com/user/KymNonStop/search?query=seated
- Power Wheelchair ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Nr-VaFcqM & https://www.powersoccerusa.org/blog
- HASfit: Home Workout Routines: video exercises with options for both seated and standing
- Evolve 21: App made by the cerebral palsy foundation- can customize your workouts based on your abilities
- Disabled Sports Tai Chi instructions: https://www.disabledsportsusa.org/sport/tai-chi/
Apps for Meditation:
- Insight Timer
- Free meditations organized into different categories
- Jonathan Lehmann Morning Meditation with Music is a great start to the day and Glenn Harrold Relax and Sleep Well is a great way to end to the day!
- Headspace: Meditation & Sleep
- Guided meditations on everything including managing stress to physical health
- Quick mental resets to longer guided meditations
- Smiling Mind
- App for all ages! Programs categorized by age with specific category sections.
- The Breathing App
- Use breathing to help calm the body and mind while decreasing your heart rate and blood pressure.
- Great for beginners and helps to schedule meditations
- Meditations ranging from 3-60 minutes.
- Daily message related to mindfulness
- Mindfulness Coach
- Created by the US Department of Veterans Affairs to help you gradually learn how to practice mindfulness
The Best Apps for Stress Relief
List of Adaptive Sports Equipment Grants & Funds in the USA
Survivor Adaptive Sports Fund is a program of Move United that offers adaptive sports grants to people with permanent physical disabilities who have been victims of gun violence or acts of terrorism.
Elite Team Training Grant https://www.moveunitedsport.org/e-team-training/
Ability Equipped Elite Team Equipment Grant https://www.moveunitedsport.org/e-team-equipment/
Spike Tutorials: How to steer and maneuver
Virtual Assistance for Substance Abuse:
During COVID, the U.S. has experienced a surge in alcohol/drug relapses as substance abuse becomes more prominent during the COVID-19 pandemic. Widespread shutdowns and social distancing measures have made it difficult for those seeking guidance and treatment for substance abuse issues to secure resources.
Because of this, Laguna Treatment Hospital is offering free resources to those in need:
- Free Virtual Support Meetings allow individuals to join free 12-step AA/NA meetings that are hosted weekly by a person in recovery.
- Drug and Alcohol Hotline provides free, confidential emotional support, information on substance abuse and local resources, and assistance finding an addiction treatment program
- Drug Effects Calculator gives an estimated time of how long it might take for someone using a particular drug to sober up.